Pages

header2

Image Map

adsense

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sally Dress by Very Shannon with Bow Tutorial




I am so proud of several of my blogging friends and their recent pattern releases!  Shannon's Sally Dress is a huge hit and I'm so glad to give a review and tutorial on how I added my big bow!

Shannon (luvinthemommyhood/Very Shannon) made this adorable dress for Vintage May!  I love the classic look of the silhouette and the fact that there are NO BUTTONS!!!!  It's simply a square neck so that you can lift it up and over your little girl's head to get it on and off!



The dress starts in a 2T and Eva Mae wears an 18 months so it is a little big on her in the chest but she will easily grow into it!!!  I fell in love with this fabric at Textiles and thought it would be perfect for this dress!  And I couldn't resist putting a big bow on the front of the dress!!!  I think it adds the perfect touch!  Here's how I made it:

For the main bow section I took a rectangle 6 inches x 10 inches


Fold the short ends together right sides together and sew along the 3 sides leaving an opening at the top to turn right side out.


Press and topstitch around the whole square or just close the hole


With a needle and thread, pinch the middle into a bow shape and tie it off with the thread.


For the middle of the bow take a small piece about 3 1/2 inches x 5 inches


Fold the long sides right side together and sew along the long edge only


 Turn right side out and press so the seam is laying in the back of the tube instead of the side


Place the strip on your bow to figure out the best placement


Now turn so that right sides are together with the tube and bow


Fold over to the back and pin where you'll sew the tube.  You may have extra fabric that you can just cut off and serge the ends again. I forgot to take a picture, but you'll take the bow out of this small piece to sew the small tube.


Turn right side out


And insert the bow back into the little tube


 Sew it to the front of your dress and you are good to go!


And of course, I had to create a little hair bow to match!  


  Isn't the finished look adorable?!!!  I love the big pockets on the side - I think any design element that is exaggerated on a child's pattern can be soooo cute! (i.e. big pockets, big bow!)


 
Thank you so much for having me on your tour, Shannon!!!  Eva Mae has been getting SO MUCH wear out of this dress!

Sewing Mama RaeAnna Blog


 Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. The bow is such a gorgeous addition. Great great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bow! Need this one just for those pockets! Super cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. I have beenbl working on my sally dress and now I am positive it needs a bow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. I have beenbl working on my sally dress and now I am positive it needs a bow.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...