Pages

header2

Image Map

adsense

Sunday, June 3, 2012

COLOR YOUR SUMMER TUTORIAL

OK, I am pretty new at blogging (just since this year for the sewing blog) and since I've been following other craft blogs I've seen some great themes/contest/challenges that a lot of girls participate in!  So......here's my first real challenge!!!  Being part of Delia Creates "Color Your Summer!"



My tutorial is going to be for a cute toy for Eva Mae!!!  It's a little color pillow (and maybe Christian will enjoy it too!) that I envisioned as I tried to think of something that I could do for this challenge!  My first thought was to make an outfit but then I thought it's not really unique and color specific - this little project/craft is specifically for various colors in my fabric stash!!! (The series starts June 4th but we'll be on our way to Idaho for 2 weeks during that time!  Since I had this idea I had to do it now......I couldn't sleep until it was finished!!!  Is there anyone else out there like that?)

Without further ado......the Color Ball Pillow Tutorial!


Step 1 - cut out 12 of the pattern - just free hand the shape below

I used a cute black and white fat quarter in my stash!

Step 2 - cut out 12 circles - it doesn't matter if they're not perfect.  I think mine were about 8" in diameter

Step 3 - take 3 of your triangle shaped pattern pieces and with right sides together, sew down the sides but not in the circle indent
 
 

After you've sewn 2 together, place the 3rd piece right sides with the center triangle

Here you can see what the wrong side looks like all sewn together.  Also notice that the hole is open in the side seam.

Repeat these steps with each set of 3 triangles!

Step 4 - take one of the circles and with right sides together, you're going to slowly bunch together the circle to the circular hole in the side seam
 
 
 

You'll end up with it looking all bunched up like this

Push it through to the wrong side
 

With the raw edges lined up, sew the rest of the circle closed.

Repeat these steps with all the circles!!!!
 

Step 5 - Now, take one group of 3 triangles and place them right sides together with another.  This is going to make one half of your ball!  You'll need to sew 2 more circles into this half of the ball.  Repeat with the other sets of 3 triangles
 
 


OK, so now you have both halves!


Step 6 - put your halves right sides together and sew all along the edge but leave a 4" opening to stuff!!!

Step 7 - Stuff your ball!  Sew the opening closed after you fill it to your liking!  Stuff in some jingle bells, cellophane paper, squeaker toys, etc. to make it even more exciting!
 
 
 
 


Now I'll have to get some pictures of Eva Mae playing with it!  She's going to love pulling on each little "spike" and as she grows we can talk about colors and patterns too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...